This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,-- This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England. ~~William Shakespeare, Richard III



Monday, August 31, 2009

Mailbox Mondays

Mailbox Mondays is hosted by Marcia over at The Printed Page. It is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week (checked out library books don’t count, eBooks & audio books do).
So, without further ado...





1. The First Princess of Wales, Karen Harper

This is a great story about Joan of Kent, wife of Edward the Black Prince. Got this one off Paperbackswap. Wanted to add this one to my collection after getting it from the library.




2. The Daughter of Time, Josephine Tey

So the title of this one really gives you no clue as to what the book is about. It is about a detective who sets out to investigate Richard III, to see if he was as horrible as tradition has made him out to be. This one came from Paperbackswap, too. I can't wait to start this one but I have to finish SKP's Time and Chance first.



3. The Last Boleyn, Karen Harper

Obviously a book about the Boleyns, this one about Mary. This is probably a much better version of what her life was really like, with a lot less historical inaccuracies than PG's The Other Boleyn Girl. Again, got this one off Paperbackswap (you should join, really!).

3 comments:

  1. OK well I don't know what rock I've been under, but I love your blog too =)
    How come we haven't crossed paths before?
    You found my blog probably thru Lizzy's little linkage for the HF Bloggers Round Table which is going to be a fantastic historical fiction lovers even on the 14th between me and 6 other bloggers. WOOHOO.
    Be sure to come back for fun giveaways, linkage to eachother's posts, Guest posts.. All HF Fanatic Related. And you'll enjoy yourself.
    Did you see my mailbox? Off to explore the rest of your Republican world. =) And I hope your new project is something like a book on the Tudors or Plantagenet era??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi:) I love your mailbox! I'd probably really enjoy First Princess of Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Daughter of Time when I read it a while ago.

    ReplyDelete