There have been several movies and TV shows over the years based on historical characters. Unfortunately, most of them cover basically the same people (the Tudors). Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching things on the Tudors (especially Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I) but there are many other intriguing personalities from history that I would love to see on the Big Screen.
Thus my idea for this post. Who would YOU pay money to see on the Big Screen? These are just my top picks though there are several more that I would pay money to see!
1. Richard III/The Sunne in Splendour - You knew he had to be #1 on my list! I would love to see Sharon Kay Penman's outstanding novel made into a movie and I would sit through a long one for this! It would just be nice to see a movie on Richard that is NOT based on Shakespeare's play, thus painting him as a horribly deformed and evil man.
2. Llewelyn the Great/The Welsh Trilogy - I fell in love with Llewelyn (and his grandson with the same name) while reading Sharon Kay Penman's trilogy. With all the action, love, betrayal, wars, etc, etc in these novels they would make the perfect movie! I would love to see the entire trilogy on screen but any of them would do for me at this point!
3. William Marshall - After reading Elizabeth Chadwick's novel on his life I would enjoy watching it in action. I think it would be interesting to see bits from his childhood (being the hostage of King Stephen) throughout his time trying to serve various Plantagenet kings.
4. Katherine Swynford/John of Gaunt - Anya Seton's novel about their love affair was delightful to read and (with all the "love" in it) would make a great movie. Considering how many kings and queens came from their union, I'd love to see them in action. And they were such great personalities in the novel!
5. The Heretic Queen - I loved Michelle Moran's book about Nefertari. I am not very familiar with Egyptian history so I can't say how accurate her portrayal was, but I thoroughly enjoyed the story and would love to see a movie about this Queen.
6. Edward II/Queen Isabella/The Despensers - Reading Susan Higginbotham's novel The Traitor's Wife sparked my interest in this period of English history. This crazy love triangle (and maybe a pentagon if you add in Piers Galveston and Roger Mortimer) is full of movie potential! Knowing Hollywood...they might just add in the hot poker...
So...who would YOU like to see immortalized even further on the Silver Screen??