This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,-- This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England. ~~William Shakespeare, Richard III



Thursday, December 24, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - History

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by Deb over at Wordpress.


Q: Given the choice, which do you prefer? Real history? Or historical fiction? (Assume, for the purposes of this discussion that they are equally well-written and engaging.)

Oh!! My favorite thing in the world! Reading about history! I prefer historical fiction just for the entertainment really. I have no problem whatsoever with reading a good non fiction book on a topic that interests me, but I just like the historical fiction way of reading on a topic. I really like seeing a person's thoughts and feelings (even though they are in most cases products of the author's imagination), things that aren't going to be recorded in most history books. I will sometimes read some non-fiction if I want more details and information on a topic (I have Alison Weir's The Wars of the Roses and The Children of Henry VIII that I'm working through at the moment).

3 comments:

  1. just taking a peek at your librarything books i can see you like historical fiction! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would choose Historical Fiction. It is always fun to learn something while reading a story. History books can tell you about the way something was, but a Historical Fiction book can make you feel how it was.

    http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer slightly more recent historical fiction. See what I mean here.

    ReplyDelete