This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,-- This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England. ~~William Shakespeare, Richard III



Friday, December 18, 2009

What did she say?

I get a bit miffed nowadays when it is deemed "politically incorrect" to say Merry Christmas. Forgive me, but Christ IS what Christmas is all about? Yes? Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to post how the phrase is said in various languages that have a connection to the historical fiction I love to read!

So, if I was in Wales I would say Nadolig Llawen.

And if I was living during the time of Eleanor of Aquitaine I would probably say (in French) Joyeuz Noel.

The Gaelic version is Nollaig chridheil agus Bliadhna mhath ùr!

If I was at a Saxon court I would say Heughliche Winachten un 'n moi Nijaar.

If I was speaking Latin it would be Natale hilare et Annum Faustum!

And, as I have this in my blood, the Choctaw Indian translation is
Yukpa, Nitak Hollo Chito.

But how ever you say it, have a wonderful and blessed Christmas and a safe and happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. I'm partial to Happy Holidays because I'm not religious, but Merry Christmas doesn't offend me :) It's all about the kids and teaching generosity in my home and though they are somewhat spoiled, they enjoy giving as well as receiving. My oldest gave all of the money in her piggy bank to the Humane Society outside of Borders and I was so proud!

    ReplyDelete