This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,-- This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England. ~~William Shakespeare, Richard III



Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Remember These?

So I know this has NOTHING to do with historical fiction but I saw it at Booking Mama and HAD to post about it as well. Talk about a blast from the past...

Anyone remember The Babysitters Club series of books??? I LOVED those books when I was younger. I collected them! My two favorites were the one where Stacey and Maryanne baby sit for a family at the beach on vacation and the super special where they were camp counselors. Anyway, an article in the New York Times says they will be making a comeback. The original publisher will be reissuing the first two books (with some slight changes in terminology to keep it up to date, i.e no mention of cassette players, etc.) PLUS a prequel that looks at the four original girls the summer before the school year portrayed in the series.

I might just sneak a peek at that since I loved them so much growing up. I always had one question though...there were over 200 books and they were published over a span of longer than a decade...HOW were those girls STILL in the 7th/8th grade???

Now if they'd just reissue Sweet Valley High....

3 comments:

  1. I had my mum join me up to the postal babysitters club, where I think I got 5 or 6 books a month for a few years until they ... uh... ran out or I decided that I could probably live without my monthly BSC love sprees!

    Seriously, I was so cool.

    I knew nobody else who read them, but they took over my room for years. Totally loved Sweet Valley High, too!!

    *high five*

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have tons of those at work (used bookstore). I never read them, but was into Sweet Valley Twins/High!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read the BSC because I was just slightly too old but I read all the early SVHs and my younger stepsister loved SVT and later on, SVU. The first few SVHs did get reissued, updated, quite recently but didn't sell all that well so there won't be any more. I got rid of most of my old copies years ago and wish I hadn't now!

    ReplyDelete