This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,-- This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England. ~~William Shakespeare, Richard III



Thursday, September 17, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Enjoyable

Booking through Thursday is hosted by Deb over at Wordpress.


Q: What’s the most enjoyable, most fun, most just-darn-entertaining book you’ve read recently? (Mind you, this doesn’t necessarily mean funny, since we covered that already. Just … GOOD.)

I love to read and I tend to pick out books that fit into my tastes so I pretty much like everything that I read (with a few exceptions of course!) but Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey is probably the most entertaining book I've read recently. I really enjoyed seeing how Detective Grant went through all the evidence about Richard III and came up with his own theory. I am drawn to stories about Richard anyway but this one had a very interesting take on the story that I really liked. It was fun to see him take all the available evidence and prove (to himself and his researcher friend anyway) that the Tudors conducted a highly successful smear campaign against the last Plantagenet King. The "mystery" Tey puts into this book makes it really good and not just another retelling of Richard's story. This was a good book and even though I know full well that Tey took some liberties with what she included in her book (to make sure it fit with the point she wanted to get across) it doesn't take away from the story, how much I enjoyed it, or that I think the evidence she included is pretty convincing.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I, too, am drawn to stories of Richard III. I am going to have to check out this book.

    Here is my Booking Through Thursday post.

    ReplyDelete