This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,-- This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England. ~~William Shakespeare, Richard III



Thursday, September 10, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Informative

Booking through Thursday is hosted by Deb at Wordpress.


Q: What's the most informative book you've read recently?

I would have to say Sharon Kay Penman's Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine trilogy (When Christ and His Saints Slept, Time and Chance, and Devil's Brood). I had never read much about this period of British history (I think Plaidy's Courts of Love is the only one I've read and that is squishing all that info into one book). There is a lot of historical information contained in these three books but I enjoyed reading every bit of it. Her books are full of good information and its written beautifully. You can really connect with the different characters.



You can check out my reviews of the first two novels in the series by clicking HERE and HERE.

3 comments:

  1. I think good historical novels can be just as informative as some works of history. Haven't read any of the books you mention, but they all sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read CITY OF SHADOWS by Ariana Franklin -- it was set during the years between WWI and WWII -- I didn't know much about that period -- it was quite enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sharon Kay Penman--I'm always awed by her research and the depth of her stories.

    ReplyDelete