This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,-- This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England. ~~William Shakespeare, Richard III



Saturday, September 26, 2009

Some Awesome Discoveries!

There have been some AWESOME discoveries in England this week! First, it was a HUGE horde of Anglo-Saxon treasure!! They say this is the largest horde of Anglo-Saxon gold found in England...even more than what was found at the Sutton Hoo burial ship. The items that they have found are absolutely beautiful. I don't know why they call those times the "dark ages" and think they didn't have any art...just look at the craftsmanship on some of those pieces! Click here for more information on that find.

Then there was an article today about 4 coins being found that date back to Norman England. Click here for information on that amazing find!

When I see things like this, it really makes me wish I had majored in British History so I could help at these archeological sites. I just think it would be truly amazing to find something in the ground and know that you are the first person to touch that item in 500 years (or 1000 years or whatever). It also fascinates me to wonder: who buried this here? why did they do it? why did they never come back and get it? what happened to those people? It really boggles the mind and I love that.

Thank you to Michelle at History Buff for links to all of these articles!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I've linked this post on my other blog, The Sword & The Sea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: but it will be published tomorrow- just in case you come to check and it isn't up yet:)

    ReplyDelete